Have you heard of the BYU Salt Lake Center? It’s the satellite campus of BYU in downtown Salt Lake City. Your student can take classes at BYU SLC if they’re an admitted BYU student, just like they take classes in Provo.
We’ll explain. The BYU Salt Lake Center offers dozens of general education courses that each student working toward an associate or bachelor’s degree is required to take. Here’s what you need to know:
- Classes are included in your student’s full-time BYU tuition.
- Credits are posted to your student’s official BYU transcript and can be transferred to another university. These are official BYU classes and students leave with official BYU credit. American Heritage credit at the BYU Salt Lake Center is exactly the same as American Heritage credit on the Provo campus.
- Students can live in Provo, Lehi, Ogden, or anywhere in between. If your student wants to live at home in Salt Lake and attend BYU, they can take classes at the BYU Salt Lake Center and start working toward graduation.
- Worried about the drive? UTA’s Frontrunner is a high-speed train that can get your student from Provo to downtown SLC in less than an hour. Convenient, right? Take a look at the UTA schedule.
- BYU classes are a little different format in Salt Lake. Each class meets once a week for a longer block, which gives your student more time for a job or makes it easier for them to travel from Provo. Take a look at the classes they offer.
- While the BYU Salt Lake Center used to only offer evening classes, they now have classes all day long.
- The classes are small. And we mean SMALL. Imagine your student getting one-on-one attention from an instructor in a class of 25 instead of 500. That’s what they’ll get to experience at the BYU Salt Lake Center!
And now you’re wondering why more people aren’t talking about this incredible satellite campus that BYU has. We are too. This is the perfect opportunity for a student with a unique schedule, living situation, or lifestyle. Or maybe they need to get into Biology 100 but none of the openings in Provo work with their schedule. Keep the BYU Salt Lake Center in mind. It’s BYU—just 40 miles north in Salt Lake City.
Want to find out more? Visit slc.byu.edu to see what the BYU Salt Lake Center is all about. We look forward to learning with your student!