Did your student earn a scholarship? Have you been contributing to a Savings Plan to help your student pay for college? As we gear up for the beginning of a semester and tuition deadlines, here are some key points to have the funds sent to the school with the least amount of hassle.
An off-campus scholarship is a scholarship you receive from a granting organization other than BYU. 529 Savings Plans, or Prepaid Tuition Plans, are also processed through the Financial Aid Office.
Important Key Points for your scholarships and 529 plans:
- Have the granting organization and 529 funds send your student’s funds to BYU as soon as they can, at least 1 month prior to the start of the semester to ensure the funds are processed in time for the tuition deadline.
- Make sure the check is payable to Brigham Young University and that they include the student’s identification with the funds (full name, ID #, Net ID, date of birth, etc.)
- If we receive funds without any student information on it, we return it back to the sender requesting the information.
- Have the funds sent to the correct address:
BYU Off-Campus Scholarships
Provo, UT 84602
- If we are notified in advance then we can use the scholarship funds in future semesters, so you do not need to hold on to the check until the start of a future semester.
- Mission Deferments: Funds are automatically deferred while you are on your mission unless the granting organization stipulates in a letter that funds are to be used during the current academic year/semester or that the funds are non-deferrable. We will hold the electronic funds until you return.
- Funds are processed on a first come, first served basis. We do not expedite checks, nor look through all the funds to see if yours have arrived. Remember to have granting organization submit funds early.
- The Financial Aid Office will not hold classes for students that cannot make payments on time.
- Students will receive a Ymessage when BYU processes their funds.
- All funds go towards tuition first unless specified by the granting agency. Funds are not automatically applied towards housing unless the funds state specially at the time we receive the funds that they are for housing only.
- 529 funds require a form to be completed in order to process the funds. You can find this form and other information on our website.
We hope that by following these tips and planning ahead that your students transition to college will be as stress free as possible. Congratulations on your student earning a scholarship! Great job on planning for college expenses by contributing to your 529 Plan! They certainly help ease the burden of paying for college.
If you have any further questions you can call BYU Enrollment Services at 801.422.4104, send a YMessage, or email email@example.com. And, don’t forget your student is protected by FERPA. They will need to provide you guest access for us to be able to release specific information regarding their account.
Kylie Romney is the BYU Off-Campus Scholarship Coordinator.