Many freshmen at BYU leave to serve missions after their first year or even before beginning college. If your student is planning to defer enrollment for a mission, please remind them to complete and submit a missionary deferment form before leaving the university. By deferring, they will be able to return to school without having to reapply. They must have their mission call before deferring enrollment for a mission.
Some important points for your student to consider:
- They must meet the qualifications for a missionary deferment. In addition to deferring enrollment, they should defer scholarships or financial aid, if applicable.
- Students should prepare ahead for registration and to continue their scholarships/financial aid when they return. Many students find it helpful to designate a person they trust to help with academic matters, such as registering for classes, while they are away. This person would be given guest access, which grants permission for BYU to discuss the student's account with the designated person.
- Students are required to attend the semester they indicated on their application for deferrment. If, due to special circumstances, your student must change the semester of return, it is critical that they contact BYU OneStop to work out the details.
- International students may have other unique circumstances that will need to be considered.
There are a few additional things your student may need to think about if they attend at least one term or semester before deferring.
- Gather materials (papers, clothes, books, dishes, etc.) they will need when they return and store them together in a safe place. Consider making an inventory of what they are storing. Who’s going to remember what’s in those boxes after a year-and-a-half to two years?
- Housing – for on-campus housing students can submit a petition for release from contract. If they live in off-campus housing, they will need to look at their housing contract for more information.
To get all the details and answers to these questions and more, check out Missionary Checklist on the OneStop website. Take a look at the Parent of a Missionary Checklist and the Returned Missionary Checklist as well to have an idea of what will need to be done when your missionary gets home.