Heard of BYU students taking classes in Salt Lake?
Yeah, it’s a thing! With small class sizes and a convenient downtown location, the BYU Salt Lake Center is a great option for BYU students needing something a little different.
- What about credits and tuition? Students take BYU classes for BYU credit, but instead of attending class in Provo, students go to class in Salt Lake. Students enroll like they do for other BYU classes—no extra tuition or hoops—they just pick a SALT LAKE section.
- Are classes different from those offered in Provo? No, they're the same classes your student can take in Provo. Does your student want to knock out a few generals? The BYU Salt Lake Center offers dozens of classes! Most courses meet only once a week, and they’re small, so students get more one-on-one time with instructors. Some students learn better in small groups, and this gives those students an opportunity to take their generals, like Physical Science or American Heritage, in a class of 50 instead of 500. Look at our upcoming schedule where you can see at a glance all the classes your student can take in SLC.
- How will my student get there? The BYU Salt Lake Center is easy to get to! Live in Provo? Take the FrontRunner up. Live in the Salt Lake area? Take the Trax, ride the bus, or drive. There’s a parking lot at the Center where students can park only steps from the classroom.
- What are some things to do around the Center? Downtown Salt Lake is a fun, dynamic place. Students who take classes in Salt Lake get to enjoy the downtown food scene, go to concerts and games at the Vivint Smart Home Arena, and shop at the nearby malls. Temple Square is just a short walk away from the BYU Salt Lake Center, as are many museums. Students can educate themselves outside the classroom!
- How will this affect my student’s schedule? The BYU Salt Lake Center gives students more schedule flexibility. Once-a-week classes help free up schedules for work, an internship, or outdoor hobbies.
Want more info? Message us on social media, call us at 801-933-9400, or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any additional questions. We’re located in the Triad Center downtown, so visit us and tour the BYU Salt Lake Center next time you’re in Salt Lake!
Scott Howell is the Director of the BYU Salt Lake Center.